Harrogate Hebrew Congregation
St. Mary’s Walk,
The Secretary – 01423 871713
Senior Warden – 01423 886713
Current Status: Active
Date Formed: 1918
Ritual: Ashkenazi Orthodox
web site: harrogatehebrewcongregation.co.uk
The Harrogate Hebrew Congregation was established in 1918 and a synagogue was opened on its present site in 1925.
The current building was erected in 1968 and can accommodate about 200.
It has always functioned in the Orthodox tradition under the auspices of the Chief Rabbi but as an independent body.
The congregants have traditionally been active in the wider community having had a Mayor, several councillors and many members who have held other positions involved in local affairs.
The community has an active WIZO group.
It became affiliated to Leeds United Hebrew Congregation for the purposes of burial rights.