Synagogue, Arnside Road, Southport – Independent – Orthodox
Services are held in the synagogue and are followed by a Kiddush every Shabbat, with a special Kiddush for Rosh Chodesh.
On weekdays and Sundays services are held in the Beth Hamidrash (ask in advance if you wish to attend).
Commences 9.45am; Sermon 11.15; Kiddush 12 noon
(Summer Friday night services commence 7.30 pm; Winter 6.30pm or as dictated by the calendar)
The Amelan Hall, immediately behind the Synagogue, offers a substantial function suite with bar and kosher catering facilities.
Visitors are always made welcome. Information about times and facilities is easily available from the Shool office
Tel: 01704-532964 (office times Tuesdays & Fridays only 9.00 – 12.00)
Email: office AT southportsynagogue DOT co DOT uk
Fresh Chickens under Beth Din Supervision are available to personal callers at Orchard Lea Farm, which is just outside Southport itself (01772-812396)
Vidal’s butcher and Titanic Deli will make van deliveries from Manchester.
Locally Morrisons carry a limited range of dry goods. Kiddush wine is available from Sainsburys.
[above: detail of windows above the Ark]
The stained glass triptych windows above the Ark are an impressive site.
• The centre one is called “The Guardian”. In its base is shown the Menorah, the Pillar of Cloud by Day and the Pillar of Fire by Night. In the circle, at the head of the window, is the Ark of the Covenant, just suggesting the Cherabim and Sechinon above the Palm leaves. At the base is the inscription “Behold the Guardian of Israel will not slumber nor sleep”. The border is panelled with various scripture plants Olive, Vine, Fig, Almond, Hyssop etc.
• The left hand window is called the “Abraham” window. The panel at the base shows the traditional Oak of Abraham of Hebron, the Alter of Sacrifice prepared for Isaac at the head, enclosed with a Pomegranate border. The inscription reads “Thou shall love the Lord thy G-d with all thy soul, with all thy heart and with all thy might”.
• The window on the right depicts in the base Jacob’s Stone at Bethel. The two side panels with the basket among the rushes on the banks of the Nile with Pyramids in the distance. In the top circle of the window water flows from the Rock.
Greetings Cards: a set of 3 cards each depicting one of the windows is available from the Synagogue office.
Click here to view
The synagogue has a fully working Mikvah at Arnside Road.
Arnside Social Committee, Ladies Guild, Ajex, Wizo and League of Jewish Women.
The Orthodox community in Southport…
…has a long history which began in the 1890’s. By 1926 the Synagogue, which stands today in Arnside Road, had been established.
The first Jewish family in Southport was that of Henschel Samuelson (previously Metzenberg, from Breslau, Prussia) who settled in the town around 1873. He established a high class tobacconist shop on Neville Street and later one of his children created the town’s first cinema in the Victoria Hall.
In 1892 an Orthodox Jewish Boarding House was opened by Mrs Joseph Lambert. Situated in Knowsley Road it was called Sorrento.
[above: Chief Rabbi addresses the congregation 2003] see more photos – click
The first Synagogue was consecrated on 8th May 1893 and was on the corner of Windsor Road and Sussex Road, previously being a chapel for the Plymouth Bretheren. The community was served for its first 35 years by the Reverend Noah Blaser, who was also Shochet, teacher and general factotum. Around 30 Jewish families then lived in the town.
It was 1896 when Hebrew classes started to be held on Sundays and Thursdays, and building was completed of a new Mortuary Hall. The Chief Rabbi Rev Dr H Adler visited Southport for the benefit of his health and stayed at the Shool President’s house in Knowsley Road. Even in those early years the Shool boasted its own Choir.
The Chief Rabbi visited again in 1901 and in light of this religious classes were established on every day except Wednesdays and Fridays. By then the number of families had grown to 40, approx. 100 people.
The Sussex Road Synagogue was reconstructed in 1913. The front of the building was faced with Accrington brick and an upper level gallery was created to accomodate the ladies of the congregation. The house abutting the Shool was made into a vestry and Cheder. Of the 80 Jewish families in the town at the time, fifty were members of the Shool.
[above: Israeli Ambassador visits in 2008] see more photos – click
By 1922 the Jewish population had increased to upward of 500. By the early 1950’s the population had reached its zenith of 3,000. And in 1954 the new communal building, the Amelan Hall, was constructed at the rear of the Arnside Road Synagogue.
[right: Arnside Road Synagogue – the Hebrew inscription over the portico reads “This is none other but the House of G-d and this is the Gate of Heaven”]
Jewish figures have played a leading part in Southport’s life, with many becoming councillors and sometimes major of the town. At one time the community boasted three Kosher butchers and two delicatessen. These days migration to Manchester, London and beyond has reduced the size of the community somewhat.
However, an active social life still provides keen audiences for a variety of events throughout the year, and a capacity turn out for the annual Hanukka dinner Gala.
Arnside Road Social Committee – Hanukka 2006
Southport Jewish Aged Home
Tel: (01704) 531975
81 Albert Rd, Southport, PR9 9LN
“The Home”, as it is locally referred to, is a residential care home. It offers rooms and self-contained apartments. Communal facilities include dinning room, lounge and conservatory. There is also a synagogue within the building which holds daily services.